Recently, I was walking through the store, minding my own business, picking up a couple purple sweet potatoes for a meal, and WHAMMO! It occurred to me that making a pie with a delicious, nutritious purple potato would be a fun twist on tradition and sneak in a couple extra nutrients to boot… or maybe I just like to freak out the family a little? Either way, it was fun & delicious!
To start, peel approximately 2-3 large purple sweet potatoes (like Stokes ®), you’ll need 15 ounces of potato puree (slightly less than 2 cups) so you may have to judge a little based on the size of the potatoes. Add them to cold water and boil until tender. The water will turn a gorgeous blue! 🙂
Drain water and mash potatoes until there are no lumps.
Mix with the remaining ingredients in the order listed. I find it very important to use a high quality vanilla and in custard pies. Also, if you need it to be dairy-free you can substitute the evaporated milk for a good coconut milk. Pour your mixture into a pie shell & bake! If you need to keep the pie gluten-free, you can make your own using a simple mix (like this one) or even buy ready-to-bake shells in the freezer section at your local healthy grocer! To test if it’s ready, use the knife test (like you would a pumpkin pie). You can cover it up with whipped topping garnish!
One last note, if you’d like to make this pie a little lower glycemic, use erythritol instead of sugar!
- 15 oz Organic Sweet Potato Puree
- 3/4 Cup Organic Raw Sugar (or erythritol to drop the GI level!)
- 1 Tsp. Organic Nutmeg
- 1/2 Tsp. Organic Ginger
- 1/4 Tsp. Organic Cardamom
- 2 Tsp. Organic Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Organic Evaporated Milk (Coconut milk for dairy free!)
- 2 - Large Organic Eggs, Slightly Beaten
- 1 - 9 inch Deep Dish Pie Shell (I used Wholly Wholesome but you can use any Gluten-Free crust)
- Boil your potatoes until tender & drain. Mash potatoes until there are no lumps. Blend in remaining ingredients in order and pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake an additional 35-40 minutes. Let pie cool before serving! Garnish with whipped topping! (It's super easy to make your own or you can use Truwhip or SoDelicious whipped toppings for ease.)