It’s that time of the year again where we fill our houses with yummy scents and family. It’s also a time where our desire for tradition often trumps our new, healthier lifestyle. What’s a cook to do? We alter our recipe by using the best, organic ingredients and make it as healthy as we can.
Wallah! Finally a dressing recipe, made from scratch, that ‘s healthy and still delicious! It’s a simple recipe I’ve been following for several years, only this year I’ve used my new cornbread recipe that is wheat and gluten-free.
You’ll need to have two batches of cornbread prepared for this recipe, cooked and cubed. For this recipe, it works best to bake it in a larger pan so that your batter is shallow. It will come out a little crispier, which seems to work better for dressing. I like to make my cornbread a day or two in advance, so that I can prepare the dressing the night before. This really helps on Thanksgiving day when you’re running around stir crazy to get everything done (like me). You just pop it in the oven to bake!
For the fresh breadcrumbs, you’ll need to pick up your favorite wheat & gluten-free bread (or make your own ahead of time). My favorites are this one or this one, in that order. Trust me, they aren’t all equal, many are dry and flavorless. And who wants flavorless bread? Fresh, homemade breadcrumbs are super easy, just pulse your bread in a food processor or blender. If you don’t have either one, you can simply use a knife.
One final important note, make sure to buy high quality spices. I know I’m repeating myself here, but after reading “Sorting The Beef From The Bull: The Science Of Food Fraud Forensics,” trust me, you want to make sure you buy from a reputable brand. The sage and poultry seasoning used in this recipe are both from The Spice Hunter . You certainly can use fresh, organic sage in this dish if you prefer.
Happy Thanksgiving! =)
- 2 Batches of Made Ahead Cornbread, cubed
- 7-8 Slices Fresh Wheat-Free Bread, made into breadcrumbs
- 6 Stalks Celery, finely sliced
- 1 x-large Yellow Sweet Onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup Butter for sauteing
- 1-1/2 tsp Dry Sage or Fresh Sage, minced
- 2 tbsps Poultry Seasoning
- 1-1/2 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1-1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 6 x-large Eggs, beaten
- 1 Container Chicken Broth, 32 oz
- 1 Container Turkey Bone Broth, 32 oz
- Grease large casserole dish with ghee or palm oil & add cubed cornbread to dish.
- Pulse bread in a food processor or blender to make into breadcrumbs & add to the cornbread.
- Saute celery and onion in butter.
- Add sage, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper and then pour over cornbread mixture.
- Beat x-large eggs and pour over cornbread mixture.
- Pour both containers of broth over dressing & mix thoroughly.
- Refrigerate overnight & then bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.
- I make mine at least a day in advance so it can be refrigerated overnight. This not only helps it set up a little before baking, but also makes life much easy on the holiday!