Okay, how many of you have missed biscuits since you’ve changed your diet? Come on, be honest. In my house, especially with certain meals, the memory of a bread-y like companion lingers… just taunting us. Some meals don’t feel complete without them. Sniff.
We’ve been searching, high and low, for a tasty recipe specifically for those kinds of moments… and finally we’ve found one. It’s quick and easy to make from scratch, with only a handful of simple ingredients… and it’s GRAIN FREE! (Wahooo!)
You can use these with breakfast, or as a side to your paleo stew. Pair them with an Italian-style dish, just add garlic to your recipe and voila, you end up with delicious cheesy goodness that closely resembles the Red Lobster biscuits everyone loves… only way healthier! Bonus!
I’ve tried several coconut flour versions, but they just didn’t have the right consistency to make it “biscuity.” I use Honeyville Blanched Almond Flour because it’s a super fine grind, which seems to do better in recipes. Also, make sure to use an aluminum-free and non-GMO baking powder like Rumford. It’s affordable, and is a great staple to have around for other recipes.
One last thing. We added a small amount birch sugar (xylitol) for a touch of sweet. You can add this or leave it out. It’s important that you only buy xylitol that is made only from non-GMO birch sugar. There are many cheap copies that are made from corn or mixed with other sweeteners. If it doesn’t tell you the source, don’t trust it. I personally use Ultimate Life – The Ultimate Sweetener or Morning Pep, both are good brands. (Make sure to always keep xylitol away from your dogs, it is poisonous to them.)
Make sure to leave a comment to let us know how they turn out and what, if anything, you change!
- 1-1/2 Cups Almond Flour
- 2 tsp Aluminum-Free Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan Salt
- 1/4 tsp Organic Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Organic Garlic Powder (optional)
- 1 tsp Birch Sugar Xylitol (optional)
- 1/2 cup Organic Shredded Cheese (I use Organic Valley Mexican Cheese)
- 1/4 cup Organic Heavy Cream
- 4 tbsp (half a stick) Organic Salted Butter - Frozen (hang on to the remainder of the stick - see directions).
- 1 Large Organic Egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together dry ingredients (almond flour, baking powder & seasoning).
- Grate (using a cheese grater) your frozen butter into the dry ingredients, and mix it in until it's crumbly. A pastry cutter works best if you have one!
- Dig a well in the center and add the cream and egg.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients well, being careful not to overwork it.
- Fold in the cheese.
- Lightly form balls and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Brush warm biscuits with melted butter. Mmmm.
- This recipe yields anywhere from 6 to 12 biscuits, depending on which size you prefer to make them. We like ours a little smaller (slightly larger than a golf ball before baking), allowing us to end up with as many as a dozen.