Have you ever looked at the ingredients of Ranch Dressing? I mean… really looked?
There are chemicals such as disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, monosodium glutamate, disodium phosphate and calcium disodium EDTA (made from formaldehyde, sodium cyanide, and ethylenediamine.)
These are included as flavor enhancers, binders, acidity regulators, thickeners, moisturizers, and preservatives. In other words, they are there to make a product that sits on a shelf last longer, look prettier, and to simulate the flavor of actual food.
Unfortunately, they have side effects including (but not limited to) flushing, headaches, excessive sweating, numbness & tingling, rashes, bloating, nausea, abdominal pain, worsening gout, palpitations, drowsiness, constipation, diarrhea, chest pain, low blood pressure, and fever.
MSG is in a class of its own, with multiple short term side effects such as those already listed. Add to that list fatigue, disorientation, depression, eye damage, headaches, and obesity. The worst, by far, is the fact that nothing fuels cancer faster than glutamate (including sugar!).
Making your own is so super easy that there is no need to cover your healthy greens with a chemical bath!
Make sure to start with the best versions of each ingredient you can find. I like to use Spectrum Organic Mayonnaise or Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Mayo (depending on your budget). For the organic buttermilk and sour cream, Kalona Super Natural is my favorite brand. If you’ve never used them, you should know they are more like dairy products used to be where the cream separates and sits on the top. The clean (& tasty) version of Worcestershire Sauce that I use is Annie’s Naturals Worcestershire Sauce.
Literally all you’ll need from here is a good glass mixing bowl, a whisk, greens and an appetite. Pour the mixed dressing into condiment bottles for ease of use and storage. Make sure to refrigerate it for an hour or two before serving to give the flavors time to meld into perfect ranchy flavors! 🙂
- 1/2 cup Organic Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Organic Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Organic Buttermilk
- 1 tsp Organic Dried Parsley (Use 2-1/2 tsp minced if fresh)
- 1/2 tsp Organic Dried Dill (Use 1-1/2 tsp minced if fresh)
- 1/2 tsp Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Organic Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Organic Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Organic Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Organic Himalayan Salt
- 1/4 tsp Organic Black Pepper
- Whisk together mayo, sour cream, and buttermilk until creamy. Stir in remaining ingredients until well blended. Refrigerate for a bit to allow flavors to meld well!
- To Make Dip: Use 3/4 cup Mayo and 3/4 cup sour cream. Eliminate the buttermilk. Dip away!
- Make sure to use full fat products! (Fat doesn't make you fat, it's not your enemy!)
- I didn't credit anyone for the recipe because it was something that I looked into and hand wrote quite a while back - I can't remember who I originally adapted it from! (Thank you - whoever you are!)